The least we can say is that préfou, the flagship product of the Vendée aperitif, is a real treat for the taste buds!
For the record, the préfou is none other than a baker's trick. To test the heat of his oven, he would place a piece of bread dough on a heated tile. When the dough was cooked, the temperature of the oven could be estimated. Rather than throwing away the barely cooked ball of white bread, it was garnished with garlic and salted butter and then shared around the bakery as a snack.
- 1 white baguette, lightly cooked and slightly leavened
- 100 g salted butter
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch pepper
- Mix the butter, garlic and pepper to obtain a creamy texture,
- Slice the baguette in half lengthways,
- Spread the inside with the butter/garlic/pepper mixture,
- Set aside in the fridge until ready to cook,
- Preheat your oven to 180° C
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes
- Slice and taste!